Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Enga Aathule Golu

The Hindu, yesterday quotes me recalling Thatha's creative Golus in the article titled

"A look at how Kolu's faring in the city"- http://www.hinduonnet.com/2006/09/26/stories/2006092605910600.htm
It says...
---------------------------
" Krithika Shukla, corporate communications professional, is on a trip down memory lane this Navratri. "The person, who used to lead the entire family in celebrating Navaratri by setting up "bright and different" kolu, is no more. My grandfather used to make replicas of temples using thermocol every year -- Sabarimala, Tirupati, Palani, Vaideeswaran... There would be priests, gopurams made with gold paper... " At the end of it, everybody in the apartment complex sings and the family will gift `sundal' and some innovative gifts. "
--------------------------
Each time I used to be the official inviter for my thatha patty's golus "Enga aathule golu vechirkom. Kattayam vandu vethalai paaku vangikanum" went the script. I remember parading in pavadai chattai to all my neighbours houses and singing earnestly to earn the sundal. What fun!

No comments: