Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I fought with my little angel

When she smiled the first time, my heart did a double take. When she gripped my fingers tightly, I made a promise I’d never let her down. When she took her first few hesitant steps, I held out my arms to cushion her fall. When she hurt herself, I wished the pain was mine. When she said sorry the first time I forgave her all her future faults. When she implored me for a chocolate, I wished I could buy her the world. When she sang, my heart brimmed with joy and pride. When her beautiful curls were chopped away during tonsure, I was in tears. When she lost her first tooth, I wept.

God. How much I love my little angel.

But yesterday, I punished her for the first time.. I made her face the wall for ten minutes and asked her not to speak or move till I said so. This was as strict as I could get. Those ten minutes of watching her sad repentant face were the longest and most agonizing minutes of my life. It took me all my will power not to hug her and spoil the impact of the punishment. How bravely she handled her punishment! When I could take it no longer, I held out my arms so we could hug and make up for all the hurt.

But she turned away and plonked herself in front of the television. “No hug for mommy?”, I asked . “No. Because I still haven’t forgiven you for punishing me”, she replied calmly,

God. How I wish I knew how to handle her.

I have a perfect little angel to love. But will I ever be her perfect mommy?

Time will tell!

3 comments:

Shrikanth said...

How true really !!! Daughters become our life totally and we never are their's , when they grow up atleast. As much as how we are fiercely independent and expectant with our parents. :)

T.Padmhasini said...

Krithika I read all your posts in one go today. Awesome is the word. I laughed my heart out which happens rarely. Very very rejuvanating morning. Try put the same thing in vachana kavidai format or oru pakka kadai which are getting popular in all the magazines today. You will make it big. Tremendous writing skills.

T.Padmhasini said...

Forgot to add that you also have to send them to the leading magazines,