Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Ulysses and I

Kalavum Katru Mara means "Learn to steal and forget it". Not to be taken literally of course, the saying appeals to one’s passion to learn, discover and experience..

I have tried learning …
Carnatic
Hindustani
Violin
Bharatnatyam
Kuchipudi
Salsa
Veena
Drums
Tailoring
Sketching
I am a master of none of the above.
To be brutally honest, I have to admit that I have not achieved more than a minimal level of proficiency in any of these.

Then, why learn? Why Be a Jack of All Trades?

Why try something new all the time? I am mystified.


I have written a post earlier called “Perspirational Genius” which was an exalted perspective of my lack of mastery and my love of genius. I would love to discover a single streak of genius that will keep me focused on one of the above.

Will I then be at peace?

Maybe not!

Perhaps like Ulysses I am “always roaming with a hungry heart”, yearning to travel and discover what lies beyond. A few days of dullness or apathy is a pause. A dead-end. My voyage has no boundaries.
I need to hurry.
I need to run.
I need to move on.

No comments: