Wednesday, July 15, 2009

When My Hero Lost A Battle!

To daughters, Dad’s are their first heroes. Imagine their dismay then when their hero loses a battle. I grew up watching this strong dictatorial yet loving Dad lead the family with such efficiency that I thought there could be no one to surpass him. Yet I just loved to take him on in verbal battles, just so I could prove to him that he had met his match. As he inculcated the reading habit in me and introduced me to the Crossword, he would flaunt his Mensa score to remain one up all the time.

Though I keep arguing with him, I have to admit that no matter how much I read, I can’t cope up with him. In life too, he is a fighter, never gives up, and never lets his spirits droop even when his shoulders do. When he met with an accident and lost 3 of his fingers with fractures and injuries all over his body, he refused to faint till he flagged down a passing truck to rescue him and his dying friend.

A doctor by profession, Daddy is also a fitness freak. He plays an hour of shuttle badminton everyday for over 20 years now. When he rides his “Bullet” and zooms out to work, he would look more like a policeman than a Doctor. My friends think he is the coolest Dad.


He is 61. But to me he can never grow old. That’s why I dint jump with joy when he shared news of his victory in the badminton match. “So what’s new?”, I said. He clarified that he had been playing with youngsters half his age and today was the first time in 6 months that he had won all the sets against them.

Still, instead of being happy that he won that day, I was horrified that he had been losing for 6 months. How could he just lose everyday and give “age” as an excuse. Daddy asked me to stop being ridiculous, but I could see that he was both amused and proud knowing that, to me, he would always remain an invincible hero!

No comments: