Saturday, March 31, 2007

Property Plus and Sevai Saturdays

It is Saturday. A day of the week I look forward to for multiple reasons. Start of the weekend is probably the last of the reasons, as to me, everyday is weekend and life itself a never-ending weekend. My Saturdays are special because they start with this absolutely super filter coffee that my mom makes. Here’s an excerpt of our conversation over coffee:

Amma: Yes Baby. I am ready. Why don’t we trot out to Ratna cafĂ© for some Idli Vada

I: Po Ma. Vera Velai Illai

Amma: How about Besant Nagar Sevai kadai which you’ve been threatening to take me for over a year now?

I: Amma, please, I don’t feel like driving now

Amma: (Opens fridge with a sigh to plan menu for the day) Ey.. Beans carrot irukku di, un super pulao sappitu rombha naal aachu. Panni Kuden..”

I: Maska will get u nowhere mom. I am not making anything.

All this while I have been only partially paying attention to what she said because I have The Hindu Property Plus in hand and am busy underlining interesting finds to start my tele-calling exercise. “Amma. Listen -Penthouse in Valmiki Nagar .Price negotiable", I call out.
Shall we go see it? replies Amma(Pupils dilate. Drooling begins) She reacts like this because she instantly goes down memory lane to the time when, walking hand in hand with my Dad in some posh locale , the two of them used to check out the houses they passed and remark “Damn-Good-This-House. Dash-Good-That-House” - alternatingly in a silly sing-song way and get back home feeling as if they’ve lived royally in every one of those palatial bungalows.

My tele-calling and tele-apartment-shopping stops after half an hour or after hearing a few over a crore kind of prices(whichever is earlier). At this point Appa joins me to discuss shooting real estate prices and our dropping share prices (if you are thinking, ‘wow, she must be loaded”, then I’ve achieved the desired reaction.).

My friends are amused as to why I chase after penthouses et all I have no intention of buying. The same reason men chase women they have no intention of marrying I suppose.

But on deeper introspection and analysis of symptoms, I have diagnosed that this is a dreaded congenital disorder affecting Dr.TNB’s clan. It cannot be cured ever, because we will always want that one room more and keep sighing and singing “damn good this house, dash good that house” today and every Saturday.

P.S: I am live blogging this today and its great fun. Amma has resigned to the fact that this is just another Saturday. She’s made the most delicious Pongal and Gothsu and served me at the PC as I work on my blog. As usual she started out by asking me for sevai(idiappam) and ended up doing me sevai(service). Love you Mom. Can’t wait for next Saturday.

No comments: